Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th: HE SENDS ME FLOWERS!


A special little box sits on the desk in my Little Farm Road office, a gift from a co-worker of years gone by. It contains cards featuring the works of that famous “Painter of Light,” Thomas Kinkade. The first portrays a farm nestled in the shadow of massive snow-capped mountains captioned, “Steeping my life in beauty brings color to my days and a song to my heart!” While my little farm is situated on sun kissed open prairie, far from the mountains, I enjoy the native beauty of this Southwest Florida setting with its colorful tropical flowers and the curious characters they attract.

I begin each morning collecting a fresh supply of hibiscus – the bright red, yellow and uniquely designed “Painted Ladies” to fill the copious array of glass bottles which used to be filled with another of my delights – maple syrup! Recently while tending to the daily arrangements, my thoughts went to the caption on Kinkade’s card with a sense of confirmation that, indeed, such beauty blesses my life. And, yes, it brings a song to my heart when I remember the One who “sends me flowers.”

“It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night,… For you make me glad by your deeds, O Lord; I sing for joy at the works of your hands.” (Psalm 92:1-4)

The overtures of love delivered by my God fill my soul to overflowing with joy in him. The splendor of creation speaks, reminding me that the Lover of my soul is behind it all – he is the source. His own loveliness is displayed in the detail and diversity of my flowers. Through them he communicates that the “little things” really do matter to him. Surrounded by the majesty of his handiwork, I experience his presence and he whispers, “I love you!”

For me, tending the garden symbolizes the partaking of a joint-venture with the Creator. I prepare the soil, do the planting, weeding, watering; he brings the life, he makes the flowers grow. That is his response, the expression of his love to me. We are the Lover and the Beloved – I turn my hand over, spread my fingers open and he fills them with his grace. My heart is warmed by the thought that it pleases him to bring me pleasure and in turn I long to please him. I cherish the intimacy we share.

“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with his love. He will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17)





1 comment: