Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday Morning Post #12: CHRISTMAS 2010

THE WISE TEACHER SAID, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die…” *

He didn’t die until January, but the time to die began the previous October when the doctor stood before us sharing the results of my husband’s brain scan; his words seemed distant and muffled as he announced it was a massive brain tumor. In Michael’s absence I pressed on bravely, supported by the love and comfort of God; and yet, something in my own soul had died and with the approach of each Autumn Season death raised its ugly head causing my heart to ache once more. Until…

…THE DAY I sat on the back porch sipping coffee and watching the curious way those big white birds trail along side of the black steers grazing down by the pond on the back side of my property. The shuffling of hooves through the grass serves to dislodge insects to the delight of the opportunistic birds. It was well into October and the air felt different that morning, dryer and cooler – almost fresh. Ah yes, it was that season again; the one I’d always looked forward to because it brought relief from the heat and humidity of our Southwest Florida summer and triggered the time of year when Michael and I would jump on our Honda and go “winging” to parts North or West for the shear delight of seeing colored leaves drifting to the ground. But for the past four years it had been the season which cruelly reminded me of death.

THIS OCTOBER MORNING, however, the Lord was visiting with me on the back porch as I sipped my coffee – we often chatted there. The sun was shining brightly from the clear blue expanse above and it seemed somehow the gentle breeze was ushering in “glad tidings of great joy.” In the deepest recesses of my soul I heard the Spirit of God reciting, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven…a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance…”** This Autumn Season was going to be different. The time had come to laugh and to dance - to live again. As I sat and sipped, the Lord spoke and I felt emotions stirring in my soul, emotions I believed were dead; but perhaps they were only lying dormant, waiting for the right season to resurrect. This surge of emotion may have been prompted by news earlier in the week that my niece was expecting her first child – a son! The promise of a new life brought to mind the truth that death is not the only season. It is but one season of the cycle of life.

THE SPIRIT OF GOD had shed light on this passage from the Book of Ecclesiastes, bringing with it a renewed sense of hope and life to my soul. Every willing encounter with God’s Spirit and Word results in positive transformation. Inspired by the light of his word to me and infused with his very own life, my knowledge of his love has been enlarged. Knowing God’s love extends beyond mere intellectual perception to experiencing his love. It has become the force which now drives me to love others and makes possible the willingness to accept love in return. Indeed, the season for living has come!

THE DAYS OF AUTUMN are pressing hard toward the first day of winter and Christians the world over are celebrating Advent. In his fascinating devotional guide, Living the Christian Year, Bobby Gross provides us with an overview of the Liturgical Calendar and shares how celebrating Christian holy days throughout the year helps us rehearse the “Christ Story.” He sets forth three annual cycles for celebration.

THE “CYCLE OF LIGHT” celebrates: Advent, Christmas and Epiphany. This first cycle tells the story of a world in darkness waiting for the first and second comings of Christ to bring light into the world. The second cycle, the “Cycle of Life” covers: Lent, The Paschal Triduum (Passover) and Easter, focusing on the resurrection and what it means to be “made new” in Christ – to receive eternal life. And lastly, Bobby Gross has coined the phrase “Cycle of Love” to describe the lengthy period from Pentecost to the next Advent. He explains this cycle by saying, “Pentecost sets the overall theme: the presence of Christ in the world through the Spirit, transforming the individual Christian and empowering the church for mission.” In following the Liturgical Calendar we keep before us the Christ who brings light, life and love into the world.

THE MANIFESTATION of light and life and love in this "season of my life" has shown me what it means to personally participate in the “Christ Story” and by the experience of it Christmas 2010 has become a far richer celebration!

*Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
**Ecclesiastes 3:1 & 4

No comments:

Post a Comment